Saturday, October 3, 2009

Opening Doors and Closing a Window

I’m sorry that I haven’t been writing much over the past month or so. Our life has become more and more busy—in good ways—in that time. Homeschooling the kids, art commissions and projects, hubby being given more responsibilities at work, and recently we took in a stray cat that has since become a member of our family.

10-3-2009-rex

We know ‘Rex’ was sent to us for a reason. He has been a comfort to us in recent happenings…even with his own little kitty troubles going on.

10-3-2009-grandpa 
My father has been in and out of the hospital over the past couple weeks. He initially went in due to a clot and things seemed alright there—they sent him home—and now he’s back in. It’s really bad this time. I have never seen him in such horrible pain or so frail. I don’t want to go into detail because I’d rather remember him healthier and doing the things he loves. Even though he tries to be a survivor and was working hard to hide how much his health was declining, I knew something was wrong. It’s hard to see him going through this and watching him dwindle away. I feel like I just got him back into my life.

I’ve been thinking about a lot of things ever since my life has taken this sudden turn. I am so grateful and so blessed that I was prompted to move up to Washington and re-kindle my relationship with my father. For so many years I had thought things were one way, but I found out pretty suddenly through a turn of events that everything was actually very different. I’m glad that God blessed me with that realization and helped to open my eyes. Knowing who my dad really is, I am very proud to say I was able to spend the past 7 years with him in my life. I only hope that I will be able to carry on his legacy…especially his non-judgmental acceptance of people into his life. He was able to extend friendship and a helping hand to others in ways I never thought possible. He was able to see good in others that most people couldn’t see for themselves. I hope to do that too.

Keep your family and friends close. Learn to forgive and forget. Life is about change and moving forward. Grudges are just walls that keep us from progressing and from walking in the light. I choose to be what I can to help those around me and to set a good example for my children. I hope they, too, can carry on this legacy. Every little pebble can make ripples that fill all of the water.

Make a choice to be that pebble! Don’t just sit on the shore. Make a ripple. Forgive, forget, love, and spread it on.

1 comments:

linda said...

Loved that post, Melissa.
It's so true.