Friday, April 15, 2011

It’s been a year!

First, I didn’t realize that I actually opened this blog in 2007. I jumped back then and missed 2 years before writing again. I guess that happens even with ‘real’ journals…and even more so in the days of digital wonders. It’s ironic that with all the advanced technology, we actually forget to do things more often and run out of even more time.

I miss the days of the good ‘ol film cameras. The camera gets full after a few pictures, and then you have to take the roll in to get developed and you have pictures in your hands to directly put into an album. Digital cameras are fast, hold hundreds of pictures, and can show a preview (no more botched shots and closed eyes!) – BUT ironically, I load up on tons of pictures, forgot to download them to our computer, and then I have TONS of files full with no real idea how or where to get them off so I can actually put them in an album. It’s one of my goals – I hope to get our pictures printed out some day. Maybe I can do it somehow here.

Anyway enough ranting about cameras!

It has been a year. A hard year. I’ve missed dad dearly. I felt like a child afraid to swim, waiting for her daddy to show up to give her lessons…and he sat there with me for some time helping me feel confident. And just as I was to dive in, he disappeared. The worst – and best – part, is I watched him leave this life. I wasn’t able to be at his bedside as he passed on, but I watched him dwindle over a few months, and I was able to be there with him. It still didn’t prepare me, even though I knew it was coming. So there I stood at the dock, ready to dive in, and I fell. Not knowing how to swim, not having dad there to coach me through it anymore. So I spent the past year (and some time still) trying to figure it out again. Trying to remember what he taught me, and to get through it without drowning. It’s been a trying and eye-opening experience.

I’ve changed some things and started new adventures. We have been homeschooling, with many breaks in trying to find what works. We recently got a nice curriculum that I am very excited about. I also finally found my niche with art. It has been a lot of fun and I look forward to much more time designing stamps for crafts. It’s something I never thought I would do.

We now have two cats (we never thought we would have ONE), and the kids are growing so fast. We found a good dentistry clinic, and are finally off of food stamps. Of course life doesn’t happen without its hardships, but I continue to dog-paddle through that water just like dad taught me to. One day I will fully swim.

I hope to keep in touch here. I don’t know how many pictures I will be able to add, or how often, but I will do my best. Maybe one day I could have all of this printed off in a book for our children. Whatever happens, it’s nice that you’re here to join in the journey with me, my husband, my children, my art, and my cats. :-)

Thank you and (hugs).

0 comments: